Ah yes, summer is here. That means long hot summer days, mixed with lazy afternoons by the pool or weekends spent in the woods being one with nature, a.k.a camping. In no uncertain terms am I an outdoors type of girl unless there are showers involved…and fluffy mats to sleep on–then I’m all about camping. Not sure what I mean? Here is my idea of camping. And here is my husband’s idea of camping. And it looked a little like this. In my stress of not having a shower and being in the woods, I opted to make sure camping was not only good for the kids but good for my soul. Thus, creative ways to bake fudge brownies and fruit snacks was born. We made tasty fruit waffle cones and added a bit of camping flare with mini marshmallows and chocolate chips. But the ultimate fav was the brownies baked in a hollowed out orange. DIVINE and perfect for camping or grilling in the backyard.
Campfire Waffle Cones
Gather and assemble your ingredients. I chopped up one banana and several strawberries. For the sweet stuff, I included mini marshmallows and mini chocolate chips. Scoop into waffle cones. Wrap in foil and place in pan over coals. Turn cones over after five minutes and bake for five minutes more. Remove from heat and check a cone to see that everything has melted and warmed through. Serve!!
Campfire Mocha Fudge Brownies – In an Orange
This recipe is by far my family’s favorite and is definitely a new tradition for our camping adventures!! You’ll need your favorite fudge brownie mix plus ingredients according to the package, 8 large oranges, and heavy duty foil wrap.
Gather and prepare your mix according to package directions. I brought eggs and made the brownies that afternoon, so I didn’t have to worry about keeping eggs cool. The great part about these brownies is they are still fresh and moist the next morning if they are kept wrapped tight in the foil after baking. 🙂 Brownies for breakfast – A mama’s dream breakfast!! Hollow out oranges and drink up the juice–just because it’s good for you. My kids were sticky from slurping the juice and insides from a bowl. Pour mix into oranges, 3/4 full. Add tops and wrap in foil. Place on grill over coals, turning every so often or place in a pan over coals. Allow up to 50 minutes for brownies to bake depending on the heat of your fire. Remove from heat, remove tops, and allow to cool. Serve!! For the printable recipes, click on these below.
- Waffle Cones
- Your choice of fruit, strawberries, blueberries, bananas, etc
- Mini chocolate chips
- Mini marshmallows
- Heavy duty foil
- Decide how many cones you want to make and chop up enough fruit for each cone.
- Mix in marshmallows and chocolate chips.
- Scoop mix into cones.
- Wrap tightly in foil.
- Place on grill over coals or in pan over coals.
- Turn after five minutes, bake another five minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve!!
- Tips: For fun, assemble all ingredients in muffin tins, one tin for each ingredient, allow your kids to make their own.
- Or if you're anything like me, prep everything ahead of time before leaving for the campground. Place all items in individual baggies. When you're ready to make them, toss everything into a bowl, mix, and scoop!
- 8 large oranges
- Brownie mix
- Ingredients for brownie mix
- Cut off top of oranges and scoop out insides, be careful not to puncture skin.
- Give the kiddos the orange juice and insides because it's good for 'em!
- Mix brownie mix according to package directions.
- Pour mix into oranges, about 3/4 full.
- Place tops back on, wrap tightly in foil.
- Try to keep top side up using a pan if needed and place over coals for about 40 to 50 minutes.
- Remove from heat, open up foil, remove tops and allow to cool.