It’s another meatless Monday at the Riggleman household and my little shorties will be chowing down on some broccoli. Believe it or not, they like their vegetables. With all the creative cooking over the last few months, they love to eat something recognizable. 🙂
One of the discoveries we made during our food journey to clean eating is we are all lactose intolerant. The upside includes no tummy aches after eating but we miss our cheese! Lucky for us, we’ve experimented with two different ways to have cheese and both are amazing.
We eat and LOVE Almond Cheese. Almond cheese comes in a variety of flavors, we’ve eaten this dish with cheddar and mozzarella and like the mozzarella best. It’s made from Almonds and unsweetened soy milk, the texture is certainly different but the flavor is comparable. We order our cheese and many of our groceries from Azurestandard.com. It’s a great co-op to be a part of and the truck comes through Kearney once a month.
The other option is pine nuts. Simply add a few ingredients to your blender and blend. I love the pine nuts for meals with pesto. It has an amazing flavor! Of course this recipe below can be adapted to use any cheese and I keep this recipe on hand for left over rice and pasta. So try it out, add your family’s favorite protein and serve!
- 2 cups of cooked brown rice OR 16 ounces of whole wheat pasta.
- 16 oz. fresh or frozen broccoli
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can corn (we have a ton of corn around here so we use fresh off the cob)
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 chopped celery
- 1 c Almond or Coconut Milk
- 1 c Vegan cheese
- 1/2 box of mushroom soup
- Saute onion about 2 minutes before adding bell pepper, celery, corn and broccoli. While that simmers, combine milk and mushroom soup. Once mixed, add it to the rest letting it cook another 10 to 15, until broccoli is cooked through.
- Add cheese and serve over your choice of rice or pasta.
- Add everything to baggie and freeze.
- Thaw enough to remove from the bag. Cook for 6-8 hours on low.
1 cup pine nuts (soaked in water for 2 hours)
1 tbs extra virgin & cold pressed olive oil
1 tbs lemon juice (about juice of 1/2 large lemon)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 glove garlic
fresh chives (optional)
Toss all ingredients into blender, blend until smooth and pour over your dish.