Sometimes I like to hide additional veggies in our dishes. This helps my kids learn to like and enjoy the taste of things like yellow squash, zucchini, onions and bell peppers. I grab one or two each of the above mentioned vegetables and blend in my food processor until it’s almost puree’d. Then it becomes the “sauce” in my Orange Basil Pasta. Often times, I will use whatever veggies I can find at the farmer’s market or whatever else is in season at the grocery store.
Generally speaking, I ask the farmers if their produce is pesticide free and don’t worry about whether it’s considered organic. That’s because you’re about as close as you can get to organic is at a farmer’s market. This helps with our idea of wholesome eating. Recipes like this are versitile because you can add your family’s favorite items.
Orange Basil Pasta Recipe
- For the Sauce & Pasta
- 1/2 cup no pulp orange juice
- zest of one orange and the juice
- 1 TB lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups of your favorite veggies finely chopped (for little ones, puree'd is fine too).
- One box of Pasta (your choice, we use gluten free however any pasta will do. Make sure it is either 100% whole grain or has an extra serving of veggies like Heartland Pastas).
- 1 to 2 Tb of basil or 1/4 cup organic, fresh, chopped basil leaves.
- Additional Bites
- Roughly chop 2 cups of organic, washed veggies: Our dish contained Cherry Tomatoes, Baby Bella Mushrooms, One Red Bell Pepper.
- While Pasta is being cooked to Al Dente, blend veggies in blender to the consistency your family prefers.
- On medium high heat, add all items to a sauce pan and all to simmer until liquids are gone or veggies are cooked through. Set aside and keep warm.
- Roughly chop 2 cups of organic, washed veggies.
- Once veggies are roughly chopped, in a pan drizzle two TB of Olive Oil and add 3 cloves of garlic. Once garlic has softened, add veggies and orange juice. Let it simmer until juice is gone.
- Add pasta and "sauce". Mix together and adjust seasonings to taste. Serve!
- ***Options: Add 2 cups diced chicken or 1 cup of cubed Tofu.
- Freezertip: Can be frozen and stored in freezer (up to 3 months). To serve: Dethaw to room temperature and bake at 350 degrees until warmed through.