I posted this recipe with my review of Baking Buddies, but in case you rather search for recipes, I opted to post it to my Recipe List. This recipe is quick, easy, and my kids love ’em. If you’d rather not use coconut cream topping and happen to consume dairy, you can top these with cream cheese.
Popover Muffins with Coconut Cream Topping
Write a review
For the Coconut Cream
- 1 can full fat coconut milk.
- Add 2-3 Tbsp of powdered confectioners sugar to the white stuff.
- Optional: add cinnamon, vanilla bean - any small amount of flavor you'd like.
For the Muffins
- 4 to 6 tablespoons melted earth balance butter, divided
- 2 eggs (optional, you can use flax eggs)
- 2 cup coconut or almond milk, warmed for 30 seconds in the microwave (should be lukewarm to warm)
- 2 cups sprouted all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
How-to Make Whipped Coconut Milk Cream
- Step 1: Buy a can of full fat coconut milk.
- Step 2: Place it in the fridge overnight.
- Step 3: Open the can without shaking it or turning upside down.
- Step 4: Carefully spoon out the top layer of opaque white stuff that has gathered at the top of the can. Spoon into a mixing bowl. You will be left with about 1/2 cup of white syrup-y looking translucent liquid. Leave this in the can. Note: I use this leftover liquid in numerous coconut-y recipes. Plus, it makes a great coconut syrup - almost like a hydrated extract of coconut flavor.
- Step 5: Add 2-3 Tbsp of powdered confectioners sugar to the white stuff. Optional: add cinnamon, vanilla bean - any small amount of flavor you'd like.
- Step 6: Grab a hand beater (simple mixers work just as well as expensive ones)
- Step 7: Whip the coconut milk froth until creamy. Start on low and move to a higher speed, move the beater in an up and down motion to infuse the mixture with as much air as possible.
- Step 8: Serve!
For the Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Using a pastry brush, coat 8 muffin cups with 1 tablespoon of the melted butter or coconut oil. Meanwhile, mix the eggs in a blender until light yellow.
- Add the warmed milk and blend.
- Add the flour, salt and remaining melted butter, and blend until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the warmed muffin tin and return it to the oven to bake until golden, about 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with coconut cream.
Heather Riggleman https://heatherriggleman.com/